Sunday 18 September 2016

"Inner Workings" A new Mixed Media painting





Hello !  Today I bring to you my latest creation, a mixed media painting I have titled
 "Inner Workings"
This painting will be heading to Art Square tomorrow, a downtown Toronto venue close to the AGO, along with several other paintings done by the talented artists in another group I belong to, Ajax Creative Arts.  It's difficult to see all the details and texture of this painting in a photo, so I have taken a few close-ups.  I really enjoyed creating this piece.  I had an idea what I wanted to do, but at the same time this painting was largely intuitive and very personal.  I knew what colour inks I wanted to use, I knew I wanted to use gears and I had a vision of the basic composition.  I knew I wanted a lot of texture.  I didn't know how it was going to come together and the words occurred to me after I had already started..  I like the idea that they are part of the painting, but not the focal point.  They will be discovered as someone examines the painting..  I am very happy how this painting turned out and for some reason, I feel a real connection to it.  I hope you enjoy the close ups and at the end I have shared a little of my process as well, if you are interested.
















I was already into the painting when I thought that I should document the process for my blog.  I had already added a lot of texture with modelling paste, beads and crystals. and established my composition.  Once that was dry, I painted over everything with acrylic paint.  Then I decided I wanted to incorporate some words into the background and did some stenciling with some white pearl modelling paste.


I created the gears using aluminum tape and I die cut them to shape.  Once my background was complete, I tempoarily added them to the background to give me an idea how I wanted to position them


Then I removed them, sealed them and aged them before adhering them to my painting


Now I was ready for the acrylic ink.  I added the ink in layers and moved it around with some water.  You can never predict exactly what result you will get when it dries.  While there was definitely a method to  my madness as I laid down the colours,  the ink does such wonderful things as it dries into the textured background that you cannot know as you lay it down.  I was excited when I awoke the next day to see how it had turned out.  I loved it!  As I move around the ink with water, there is a spray that occurs, which I like but It can be a little bit busy. So for my final touches, I muted some of the spray and recreated some quiet space.  I hope you like the end result

Thank you so much for letting me share my work, my process and my thoughts with you today.

10 comments:

  1. What a super cool post! It looks GREAT = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. You are always so supportive and it is much appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Oh my yumminess!!!! That is incredible to see all the stages.
    I wish you well at the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and your great comment, Heather!. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the different stages, I wish I had thought of it sooner. I think I will try and do this more often with some of my paintings. I don't know why I didn't do it before, I do it with my other work. Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
    2. Whoah girl !!!!! you just stopped me in my tracks with this one
      " AWARD WINNING" is the only thing that comes to mind.....plus everyone used us all the other good words on me...geesh.

      Delete
    3. My gosh, Sharon! Thank you so much, that means a lot to me. Much appreciated! You should come to the reception on Wednesday, if you can, everyone would love to see you!

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is outstanding! Love the drippage and the blue with the rusty brown! I always struggle with white space, but you balanced it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zsuzsa! white space is a struggle I have as well, so I'm so glad you like it!

      Delete
  4. This is such a gorgeous piece, Kimberley. I love the rich, textural aspect of it, and I'm sure that it's even more of a knock-out in 'real life'. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Thank you so much, Win! As much as I love to paint my trees and skies, I really love creating this kind of work as well

      Delete

I read and appreciate every comment that you have taken the time to leave. Thanks so much, you will always get a reply!